Using recommended anti cancer herbs does not mean they will destroy a cancer. They are recommended because of their ability to support and strengthen the systems, so that the body can fight the infection and disease. They also help to combat some of the unwanted side effects that occur due to chemotherapy, radiotherapy or other conventional forms of treatment.
Many of these herbs have been used in one form or another for centuries to treat cancers and other many other medical conditions. They are often used in combinations to strengthen the medicinal properties and boost the support given to the body systems. Various herbs are used in the production of conventional drugs used for cancer and other medical condition treatments.
Best Known Anti Cancer Herbs
Many of the herbs used in the herbal remedies prepared for cancer patients contain herbs that are household names and are popular ingredients in the store-cupboard. Using fresh herbs or prepared remedies will provide the best results.
- Garlic prevents the formation of carcinogen in the body. It helps to detoxify the body because it is rich in sulphur.
- Cat’s claw is known for its ability to balance the immune system levels. It has also been shown to contain properties that help to prevent tumours forming.
- Misletoe extracts contains properties known to poison cancer cells and support and strengthen the immune system. Some types of mistletoe are poisonous to humans, but the European plant is safe for internal use in powder, tincture or given intravenously. Extensive testing has proven it to be effective in the treatment of several forms of cancer such as bladder, genitals and digestive tract.
- Kelp or seaweed as it is often called is an excellent source of iodine. Iodine helps to regulate the thyroid gland and the production of thyroxine that helps the cells to absorb oxygen and burn glucose to provide energy. When this process is interrupted the results can provide a perfect base for cancer to form.
- Maitake extracts are known to support the immune system. It has properties that help to prevent tumour growth. Trials have shown it to be most beneficial in treating breast and colorectal cancers. To a lesser degree there has been some success with treatments for leukemia, liver, stomach and lung cancer.
- Ginseng remains one of the controversial anti cancer herbs. Laboratory testing has confirmed that the herb contains some properties that help to boost the immune system and slow the growth of cancer cells. Human studies have proven inconclusive, although there was some success in lowering the cancer rates within the study group.
No doubt anti cancer herbs provide properties that will be beneficial to cancer patients. They can be used to counter many of the symptoms and help to strengthen the body’s immune system. Advice on the best herbs or remedies for an individual will vary depending on the type of cancer, its state of advancement and any other medications or treatments. For tailored advice patients should consult their medical practitioner and an herbalist or alternative therapist.