Sunburns can be very painful; however there are a variety of sunburn remedies that help to ease the pain. Because too much exposure to the sun can cause wrinkles and lead to skin cancer, it’s best to avoid a sunburn whenever possible.
Always apply a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and wear a hat if you plan to be outside for any length of time. However, if you do get a sunburn, remedies can be quite effective at relieving symptoms. In cases of serious sunburn, it’s important to seek medical advice.
Home Sunburn Remedies
There are several sunburn remedies that will help to take the sting out and provide pain relief, including:
1)Aloe Vera – Before applying aloe vera, take a luke warm bath to release the heat from your skin. Next, apply aloe vera gel liberally, or, if you have an aloe vera plant, split open a stem on the plant and apply gel to skin. The ingredients in aloe vera help the skin to heal.
2) Oatmeal – Add a cup of oatmeal to bath water to relieve the sting and itchiness of a sunburn. Use regular oatmeal or a product such as Aveeno Skin Relief Treatment, which contains colloidal oatmeal.
3) Lidocaine – Products that contain lidocaine, such as Solarcaine Aloe Extra Burn Relief, provide fast relief of pain and itchiness from sunburn.
4) Mennen’s Afta Aftershave and hydrocortisone cream – Mix a 3 oz. bottle of Mennen’s Afta Aftershave with a 1 oz. tube of hydrocortisone cream (5% strength). Apply to sunburn to ease pain and prevent peeling.
5) Noxema – Apply Noxema cream to sunburn to instantly cool the burn.
6) Vinegar – Apply vinegar to sunburn using a soft cloth to take the sting out.
7) Tomatoes – Slice a tomato thinly and put slices on sunburn, or extract the juice from a tomato and apply to burn; leave on for 15 minutes, then rinse off in a cool shower.
8. Tea – The tannic acid in tea helps to relieve sunburn pain. Add tea to bath water and soak for 15 to 20 minutes, or apply cooled tea to skin using a soft cloth.
9) Mustard – Smooth a layer of yellow mustard over sunburn and allow it to dry on the skin, rinse off in a cool shower.
10) Baking soda – Add 1 cup of baking soda to bath water and soak for 15 minutes to provide relief from itching. Another option is to make a paste of baking soda and water and apply on sunburned skin.
11) Egg whites – Apply egg whites to sunburn; leave on skin for a couple hours or overnight if possible. Rinse off in a cool shower.
Everyone is different; a remedy that works for one person might not work for another. Try a few to find what is the most effective. Seek medical help if a sunburn is accompanied by serious symptoms such as fever, a rash, severe blistering, nausea, vomiting, extreme thirst, a rapid pulse, faintness, or cold, clammy skin. The sunburn remedies provided here are recommended for less serious burns.
Have you found a sunburn remedy that works for you? Please let us know in the comments below!
- 30 Handy Home Remedies for Cold Sores
- 5 Herbal Remedies For Acne
- Gum Abscess Home Remedies
- Best Herbs for Hair Growth
- 12 Herbs for Treatment of ADHD