14 Sore Throat Remedies To Try At Home
A sore throat can be both annoying and painful, but many sore throat remedies exist. A sore throat can be caused by many things, such as a cold, sinus drainage, and even by bacteria such as strep. Left untreated, strep can be a very dangerous situation and cause serious illness such as rheumatic fever. If you experience fever, body aches and a severe sore throat, make an appointment to see your doctor.
If a sore throat is the result of a cold, allergies, or sinus drainage, try these sort throat remedies for relief.
Gargle with salt water- A warm salt water gargle can ease the discomfort of a sore throat. Mix ½ teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water and gargle two or three times per day.
- Use a natural astringent – Betony, an herb, can be purchased at health food stores. Betony contains tannin, which is a natural astringent that makes blood vessels shrink, and can soothe a sore throat. Add a teaspoon of dried betony or 10 to 12 drops of liquid betony to a cup of herbal tea. Drink or gargle with the tea, two to three times per day. The dried herb should be strained. It has not been found to have interactions with drugs, however its safety in use of pregnant or breast-feeding women is unknown.
- Gargle with Listerine – Gargle with Listerine to ease the pain of a scratchy, sore throat.
- Drink anything hot - Hot drinks such as coffee, tea, water or lemonade will bathe the throat tissues and provide soothing relief.
- Take an analgesic – Aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen can help with a sore throat. Children should not take aspirin, so opt for acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
- Suck hard candy – Sucking on candy soothes the throat tissues.
- Try steam – Get a bowl of steaming hot water and put a towel over your head and lean over the bowl, being careful to not get so close that you burn yourself.
- Clear your nose – Use decongestants to clear your nose and stop post-nasal drip, which is a cause of sore throat.
- Try a spray – Chloraseptic is great for temporary relief from a sore throat, as it numbs the tissues.
- Keep the throat well lubricated – Drink at least eight to ten 8-ounce glasses of fluid per day to keep the throat from becoming dry, which causes further irritation.
- Enjoy a Popsicle - Sucking on a Popsicle will soothe sore throat tissues and provide temporary relief.
- Drink honey and lemon – Mix equal parts of honey and lemon in boiling water and drink when cool enough not to burn.
- Have a drink - Have a glass of whiskey or brandy to soothe your sore throat, which might help you sleep better too! This, of course, is not recommended for children, pregnant women, or women that are breastfeeding.
- Suck on lozenges – Sore throat lozenges will help to temporarily relieve the pain and scratchy feeling of a sore throat.
Remember that a sore throat that is severe and accompanied by fever and/or body aches and pains may be an infection such as strep and require a visit to the doctor. Otherwise, these sore throat remedies should have you feeling better in no time.