Nasal Congestion Remedies
Nasal congestion, that stuffy feeling in the nose, is irritating to say the least, but nasal congestion remedies can help bring quick relief. Nasal congestion occurs when the nasal membranes are swollen and mucus becomes trapped in the nose.
The causes of nasal congestion are many, including:
- Common Cold
- Hay Fever
Nasal Congestion Remedies To Help You Breathe Easy
The following nasal congestion remedies can bring quick relief.
- Use a vaporizer – Sleep with a vaporizer in the room; the steam helps break up congestion.
- Try Vicks VapoRub – Apply Vicks VapoRub below the nostrils to relieve congestion or use liquid Vicks in your vaporizer.
- Breathe eucalyptus oil – Boil a pan of water and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil and breathe in the steam.
- Drink plenty of fluids – Stay hydrated with water and fruit juices to loosen mucus and relieve your nasal congestion.
- Try tea tree oil - Boil a pan of water and add some tea tree oil; inhale the steam to relieve nasal congestion.
- Use saline nasal sprays - A saline solution nasal spray, such as Ocean Premium Saline Nasal Spray or Novartis 4-Way Saline Moisturizing Mist, will help relieve nasal congestion and isn’t habit-forming.
- Have a bowl of chicken soup - Studies have actually shown that chicken soup is a great congestion remedy.
- Take vitamins – Vitamins C, E and zinc help to build up your immune system to recover faster.
- Take garlic capsules - Taking garlic capsules or consuming fresh garlic strengthens the immune system and lets you breathe easier.
- Use black pepper – Take 3 black pepper seeds in the morning or inhale fumes from burning pepper seeds.
- Rinse nasal passages with salt water – Put a half teaspoon of salt in a cup of boiling water and allow it to cool down until it’s still warm, but not too hot to burn. Use a dropper and place 3 drops in each nostril to loosen the mucus; then blow your nose.
- Inhale peppermint oil – Put a few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball, hold it up to your nose and inhale.
- Inhale apple cider vinegar – Pour some apple cider vinegar in a pan, heat it up and inhale the fumes.
- Sleep with your head elevated - Sleep on 2 pillows to keep your head propped up to loosen mucus.
- Drink hot tea or coffee - Hot drinks help to loosen mucus and relieve nasal congestion.
- Eat spicy foods – Spicy foods, such as jalapenos, help to drain the sinuses.
If your nasal congestion is due to an infection, it is important to see a doctor, who may prescribe antibiotics. Otherwise, the nasal congestion remedies listed here should have you breathing better in no time!