Head Lice Home Remedies
It never fails that if one child gets head lice, they all get it, but luckily there are head lice home remedies. Head lice are parasites that infest the hair and are passed easily among children, who often share brushes, hats and combs.
Symptoms of Head Lice
Common symptoms of lice include:
- Itchy scalp
- Red bumps
- Seeing nits, or lice eggs (tiny white specks) in the hair
The Best Head Lice Home Remedies
If you are certain that your child is infected, try one of these home remedies for lice.
- Lice Comb – A non-chemical treatment is to use a lice comb. The hair must be combed several times a day to remove the lice and nits.
- Lice Shampoo – Shampoo the hair with lice shampoo such as Nix or Rid. You still must use a comb to remove the nits, as shampoo does not kill the eggs.
- Tea Tree Oil - Add 10 drops of tree oil to regular or baby shampoo. Leave on the hair for 30 minutes, and then wash hair as usual. Tea tree oil is an herbal remedy and not regulated by the FDA, so use with caution on young children.
- Avon Skin-so-Soft – Spray hair and scalp thoroughly. Cover with cap and leave on for 30 minutes. Shampoo as usual. This treatment is also effective at killing the nits (lice eggs).
- Robi Comb – Robi Comb is an electronic comb that detects and kills head lice. It can be bought at most pharmacies for around $30.00. Simply comb dry hair with the Robi Comb and the lice get zapped and die. It is painless and pesticide–free and has been proven to be very effective at killing lice.
- Mayonnaise or Olive Oil and Vinegar – Apply mayonnaise or olive oil to the hair, massage in, and wrap with a shower cap or similar type cap; leave overnight. Wash the next day with shampoo, then apply vinegar to the scalp for 5 minutes; rinse with warm water. Shampoo normally for the next 4 days, applying the vinegar each day. After the 5th day if lice are still present, repeat the mayonnaise or olive oil procedure.
- LiceOut - LiceOut is a non-toxic gel that is available over the counter. It traps the lice so that a nit comb can easily be used to remove the lice and the nits.
- HairClean 1-2-3 – HairClean 1-2-3 is a natural product made of coconut oil, anise oil and ylang ylang oil. It has been shown to successfully remove head lice.
- Listerine and White Vinegar – Apply Listerine to hair and scalp. Cover with plastic cap. Leave two hours; rinse. Do not dry the hair. Next, apply white vinegar, cover with cap, leave 2 hours; rinse. Shampoo hair with regular shampoo.
Remember when treating lice to wash sheets, pillow cases, blankets, towels, hats, etc. in hot water. Boil combs and brushes, or replace them. Remind young children to never share hairbrushes and combs and not to trade hats with friends. If it’s too late now, these head lice home remedies should help get the problem under control.
Have you found an effective head lice home remedies treatment? If so please help others by sharing your experience below!