A hangover is definitely no fun, but hangover remedies can help. Headaches, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, extreme thirst, and sweating are just some of the awful symptoms of a hangover. These symptoms occur due to dehydration because alcohol is a diuretic, which causes you to urinate more frequently.
Avoiding a Hangover
To avoid a hangover, remember the following:
- Drink slowly, no more than 1 drink per hour.
- Don’t smoke, as it can make a hangover worse.
- Drink plenty of water before drinking alcohol.
- Eat a full meal before drinking.
- Avoid brandy, bourbon and red wine, as they are more likely to cause hangovers.
- Stick with one type of alcoholic beverage, rather than mixing, i.e., don’t drink beer and wine or tequila sunrises and whiskey sours.
- Snack while drinking.
- Drink water before you go to bed to avoid dehydration.
If it’s a little too late to avoid a hangover, try these hangover remedies for relief.
- Take an analgesic - Take 2 buffered aspirin or acetaminophen to relieve your aching head.
- Drink fruit juice – Drink a lot of juice to rehydrate, especially juice high in Vitamin C.
- Stick with clear liquids – Avoid solid food until you have recuperated.
- Rest - Stay in bed. Sleep and time are effective hangover cures.
- Drink Coca-Cola and milk – Although it sounds like it could make you feel worse, many people say this concoction cures their hangover.
- Drink chamomile tea – Chamomile is often helpful for an upset stomach.
- Eat a banana – Some people believe that replacing potassium lost from frequent urination is helpful for relieving a hangover. If you can eat something without losing it, a banana is a good choice.
- Drink a sports drink – Sports drinks can replace lost glucose and vitamins.
- Drink Ginger-ale – Ginger-ale can calm an upset tummy.
- Make a shake – Mix 1 banana and 1 tablespoon honey in a blender with 6 oz. milk. Drink to settle the stomach and put glucose back in the body.
- Drink apple juice with Advil – Take 2 Advil with an 8 oz. glass or larger glass of apple juice.
- Drink chocolate milk – Chocolate milk replaces the lost sugars and helps you feel better fast.
- Drink coffee with honey – Coffee with a teaspoon or two of honey can relieve nausea.
- Drink 7-UP or Sprite – 7 UP and Sprite are both effective for taming tummy troubles.
- Take a hot bath – The heat removes toxins from the body.
- Take Berocca – Berocca is a tablet full of essential vitamins and minerals. Dissolve one orange or tropical-flavored tablet in a glass of water to replace the nutrients lost from drinking.
- Drink coconut water – Coconut water is full of potassium and other nutrients
- Get your B vitamins – Take a vitamin B-6 and B-12 to replace what was lost while drinking.
- Drink Rooibos tea – Rooibos tea is an herbal tea that’s full of antioxidants and has shown to help with stomach problems. It can be found in health food stores and some grocery stores.
The best option is to take precautions and avoid a hangover altogether. If however, you do find yourself suffering from a hangover, these hangover remedies will help.
Do you have special hangover remedies that work for you? If so please share below!