Chest Congestion Remedies
Chest congestion is a tight feeling in the chest that can occur at any age, but chest congestion remedies can bring fast relief. The very young or elderly, however, should seek medical attention, since sometimes chest congestion is a symptom of a life threatening condition, such as pneumonia or a severe asthma attack.
Chest Congestion Symptoms
There are many symptoms of chest congestion, most commonly:
- Tightness in the chest
- Shortness of breath
- Labored breathing
The causes of chest congestion are many, including:
- Common Cold
- Whooping cough
- Lung cancer
Chest Congestion Remedies
The following chest congestion remedies can bring some relief when chest congestion is due to minor causes.
- Increase your fluids – Drink plenty of juice and water to help loosen and break up chest congestion.
- Use a vaporizer – Sleep with a vaporizer in the room; the steam helps break up congestion.
- Try Vicks VapoRub – Apply Vicks VapoRub to the chest to relieve congestion.
- Add grapes to your diet – Grapes are natural expectorants.
- Take Mucinex – The over-the-counter product, Mucinex, with the expectorant ingredient, guiafenisen, helps to thin mucus and relieves chest congestion.
- Take Robitussin Cough and Chest Congestion DM – Robitussin Cough and Chest Congestion DM is a very effective over-the-counter cough syrup that thins mucus and loosens congestion.
- Have a bowl of chicken soup – Studies have actually shown that chicken soup is the best soup for loosening chest congestion.
- Try a mustard plaster – Mix 3 tablespoons dried mustard and 3 tablespoons warm water. Apply on a cloth and lay over the chest to relieve congestion. This is an old-time folk remedy many people swear by.
- Apply cabbage leaves – Another folk remedy is to apply cabbage leaves over the lungs, front and back, to clear congestion.
- Take vitamins – Vitamins C, E and zinc help to build up your immune system to recover faster.
- Take garlic capsules – Taking garlic capsules or consuming fresh garlic strengthens the immune system.
- Drink milk and turmeric – A glass of warm milk with a bit of turmeric powder drank at bedtime will loosen chest congestion.
- Try ginger – Put a few drops of ginger oil into steaming water and breathe the steam; or, make a drink of 2 tablespoons freshly shredded ginger, steeped in hot water.
- Try onion juice with honey – Onion juice, mixed with honey, helps to loosen mucus and relieve congestion.
- Drink warm peppermint or chamomile tea – Drinking warm tea, especially peppermint or chamomile, is an effective way to loosen phlegm and relieve chest congestion.
If you are experiencing severe chest pains or long-term congestion, see a health care professional, as this could be the sign of a serious illness. The elderly and children should also be seen by a doctor. For minor or occasional chest congestion, try these chest congestion remedies for quick relief.
Do You Have Chest Congestion Remedies You Swear By? If So We Would Love To Hear Them! Please Leave A Comment Below!