Bloating is frustrating, miserable, and can even be embarrassing sometimes, so it’s good to know there are many bloating remedies to get your back to your normal self. Bloating happens to just about everyone at some time or another and is a rather uncomfortable feeling that’s best to avoid whenever possible.
Bloated Stomach Causes
Bloating is caused by several things. The most common are:
- swallowing air while eating
- foods high in fiber
- eating too fast
- just before a woman’s period
Top Pick Bloating Remedies
There are several bloating remedies but the ones you should try depend on the cause of your bloating, whether it be swallowing air, PMS or certain foods. Read through the list and find a remedy that will help in your situation.
- Chew food slowly – Chew your food thoroughly and slowly so that it can be digested more easily.
- Avoid certain foods – There are some foods that are more likely to cause bloating, such as cabbage, nuts, beans, corn, popcorn, broccoli, onions, bagels, homemade breads and pretzels.
- Soak beans – If you do eat beans (which are healthy), soak them overnight, then use fresh water to cook them.
- Take Beano – Beano is an over-the-counter product that is very effective at stopping gas and bloating. Take two or three tablets before you eat the first bite of the offensive food.
- Avoid chocolate – Unfortunately, chocolate is a common cause of bloating.
- Take a product that contains simethicone – Products such as Gas X and Phazyme provide fast relief for gas and bloating.
- Limit dairy products – Dairy products are often the culprit of gas and bloating, especially for anyone who is lactose intolerant.
- Take Lactaid - If you are lactose intolerant and eat dairy foods or drink milk, take Lactaid to limit discomfort and bloating.
- Use Charcoal Plus – Charcoal Plus is another over-the-counter product that can absorb gas and reduce bloating.
- Avoid products with sorbitol – Sorbitol is a common ingredient in sugar free gum and candy that can cause bloating.
- Drink ginger tea – Ginger is good for relieving stomach discomfort and reducing bloating.
- Take probiotics – Probiotics, such as acidophilus tablets or Dannon Activia Yogurt, aid in digestion and therefore, reduce bloating.
- Walk it off – Walking is good exercise and is very effective at relieving symptoms of bloating.
- Avoid chewing gum – Chewing gum allows you to swallow a lot of air and therefore, increases bloating.
- Drink water - Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep the digestive system working properly.
- Don’t talk while eating – If you talk while you are eating, you will swallow even more air, leading to gas and bloating.
- Limit coffee – Too much coffee leads to bloating.
- Avoid carbonated drinks – The fizz in these drinks causes bloating.
- Don’t overeat at meals – Eat smaller, more frequent meals rather than one or two large meals.
- Drink peppermint tea – Peppermint tea can be a very effective remedy for bloating. Peppermint capsules work just as well for those who don’t enjoy peppermint tea.
- Cut back on salt and sugar – Too much salt or sugar can lead to bloating.
- Wear comfortable clothing – Pants or jeans that are too tight around the tummy cause discomfort and bloating.
- Try burdock – Burdock is an herb that can be found in health food stores and is effective at relieving gas, indigestion and bloating.
- Cut back on your consumption of apples, peaches and pears – All three fruits cause bloating; if you do eat them, peel them first.
- Eat foods high in potassium – Foods such as bananas, spinach, cantaloupe and mangoes regulate the balance of fluids in your body and help to prevent bloating.
Remember that if bloating is a constant problem, it could be the sign of a serious disorder and should be evaluated by a physician. For occasional bloating, however, these bloating remedies should give fast relief.