Dandruff is a common disorder, affecting about half the population. It’s the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. Dandruff is actually caused by too much oil; the oil in the hair clumps of the cells and makes them into visible, embarrassing white flakes.
Home Remedies For Dandruff
There are some easy dandruff remedies that often have great results. Try these home remedies for dandruff to get rid of the flakes:
- Try natural home remedies for dandruff with the recommended ebook No More Dry Scalp
- Shampoo daily – Often, dandruff can be cleared just by shampooing the hair every day, to remove excess oil.
- Try an anti-dandruff shampoo – Some good anti-dandruff shampoos to try include Garnier Fructis Fortifying Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo, Herbal Essence No Flakin’ Way, and Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control Dandruff Shampoo. If you notice good results but then flakes reappear, try switching to a different anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Learn to relax – Studies show that people who have lots of stress tend to have more dandruff.
- Try herbal treatment – Mix 2 tablespoons vegetable oil with 6 drops of burdock root oil. Warm the mixture and massage thoroughly into the scalp. Wrap your head in a shower cap, then cover with a hot towel. Leave in place for 20 minutes. Remove towel and shower cap and shampoo hair with a mild shampoo and follow with conditioner.
- Use tar shampoo – Tar shampoos are effective at decreasing cell turnover and are very effective at eliminating dandruff. However, tar shampoos do have some drawbacks. They have a strong odor, they can stain the shaft of lighter hair, and also, many people find tar shampoos irritate their scalp. Some tar shampoos to try include Good Sense Therapeutic Shampoo Coal Tar Anti-dandruff Shampoo, DHS Tar Shampoo, and Original Wonder Pine Tar Shampoo.
- Use less mousse and gels – Hair gels and mousse can contribute to oiliness and increase dandruff.
- Rinse with lime juice – Add a teaspoon of lime juice to water for the final rinse.
- Brush daily – Brush the hair daily to improve circulation and help remove flakes.
- Massage the scalp – Massage the scalp daily with your fingertips to stimulate circulation.
- Try Fenugreek seeds – Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in water. Grind to a fine paste and apply to scalp. Leave for 30 minutes. Wash hair with a soap-nut solution or acacia concinna. Do this twice a week the first few weeks, then once a week thereafter.
- Use vinegar and water – Mix white vinegar with water and apply to scalp; leave overnight. In the morning, rinse and shampoo hair.
- Use rosemary, sage and thyme – Make a solution of 1 ounce dried rosemary and 1 ounce sage in 2 cups hot water. Let it steep for 24 hours. Use as a daily hair wash. Or, boil dried thyme in water for 10 minutes. Strain this mixture and apply to clean damp hair. Do not rinse out.
- Try an egg wash – Beat 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of water. Dampen hair and apply egg mixture. Leave on for 15 minutes, wash with mild shampoo.
- Sprinkle on the soda – Sprinkle baking soda in hair to absorb excess oil. Comb through.
- Apply white beet juice – Boil beets and roots in water. When water cools, massage into scalp and leave overnight. Rinse hair thoroughly in the morning.
- Use Aloe Vera gel – Apply aloe Vera gel to scalp; massage. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes, then shampoo.
- Apply snake gourd juice – Massage snake gourd juice into the scalp for relief of dandruff.
These home remedies for dandruff should bring you fast relief. The most important thing is to keep your hair clean, shampooing daily to remove excess oils. If these remedies bring no results within a couple of weeks, make an appointment with your doctor.
Have you found home remedies for dandruff that work for you? If so we would love you to share them with us below!
- Best Herbs for Hair Growth
- Natural Herbs for Hair growth
- 30 Handy Home Remedies for Cold Sores
- 5 Herbal Remedies For Acne
- Gum Abscess Home Remedies