If you suffer from frizzy hair, you know it can be an embarrassing situation. Anyone can have a case of the frizzies, not just those with curly hair.
Frizzy hair occurs because of damage to the hair shaft.
Most common causes of frizzy hair include:
- Overuse of blow dryers, curling irons, hot rollers and straighteners
- Overexposure to sun
- Windy conditions
- Coloring hair
- Bleaching hair
- Lack of moisture
- Hair with a coarse texture
Home Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Once you determine the underlying cause of your frizzy hair, you can use the appropriate home remedies to tame the problem. Popular home remedies include:
- Take a break from heated styling devices.
Blow dryers, curling irons, straighteners and other heated styling appliances cause damage to the hair cuticle and make frizziness worse. Allow your hair to dry naturally and limit the use of styling appliances to special occasions.
- Avoid hair products containing alcohol, sodium, lye and calcium.
These ingredients can dry out and damage hair, causing a frizzy appearance. Check your shampoo, mousse, gel and hair spray for these ingredients. Opt for more natural or organic hair care products.
- Avoid over washing your hair.
Many of us wash our hair daily, which leads to dryness and damage, as this strips the natural oil from hair, leaving it dry and frizzy. Unless you spent the day digging a ditch or running a marathon, try skipping a wash. Most people can get by with washing hair every other day.
- Rinse hair with vinegar.
Vinegar allows the proper ph balance to be restored to the hair, smoothing the hair cuticles.
- Choose a moisturizing conditioner for dry or damaged hair.
Look for one that has castor or coconut oil as one of the first listed ingredients.
- Avoid overcombing or over brushing hair.
Constantly combing and brushing hair causes further damage and leads to further damage. This goes for scrunching, twisting and twirling also. Remember, also, to never brush wet hair. Always use a wide-toothed comb on wet hair.
- Eat a healthy, well balanced diet.
Like the body, hair needs the proper vitamins and minerals to thrive. Eat a well balanced diet, ensuring you get the proper amount of Vitamins A, B and E.
- Take a vitamin designed for hair.
If your diet is lacking, choose a vitamin specially designed for hair and nails. You’ll be amazed at the difference it can make in the look and feel of your hair.
- Make an egg and olive oil hair mask.
Mix a well-beaten egg with enough olive oil to make a paste. Apply this mixture to the hair and leave on for 30 minutes. Shampoo and condition as normal. Apply this to the hair once a week to improve the health and look of your hair.
- Use products designed to control frizzy hair.
Several products, such as Frizz Ease, are on the market today that can help to control frizz and get the problem under control.
Determine the cause or causes of your frizzy hair and then choose the frizzy hair remedies that pertain to your situation. You should soon see a big improvement in the look and feel of your hair.
Suffer from frizzy hair? Let us know what you do to keep it under control!
- Best Herbs for Hair Growth
- Natural Herbs for Hair growth
- Are Herbs for Weight Loss Effective and Safe?
- 5 Of The Best Herbal Remedies for Depression
- 3 Must Try Herbs for Constipation