There are so many products and herbs for weight loss advertised that it is difficult to know which ones are safe and effective. A little knowledge and research goes a long way to helping people choose the right ones for them. It is always best to remember that no two individuals are the same and what works for one may not work for another.
Regardless of which products or herbs for weight loss are chosen, they can only be effective if they are used in conjunction with healthy eating and some exercise. This does not mean giving up favourite foods, going on a near starvation diet or joining a gym. It means making some healthy eating choices and cutting down or replacing certain items in our diet with an alternative. Exercise can mean taking a five or ten minute walk to the shops instead of taking the car. Every little bit helps to reach a weight loss goal.
Knowing a bit about herbs, how to use them and how they can help achieve weight loss is another step in the right direction. There are two main types of thermogenic herbs for weight loss.
- Herbs that have stimulant properties that helps to speed up the body functions, including the digestion, heart rate and respiration. The individuals feel more energetic and respond accordingly by keeping on the go. Herb’s teas such as nettle, dandelion and green tea are safer to use than many commercial products, are easily available and are less expensive than many other products for weight loss.
- Herbs that have diuretic properties help to rid the body of excess fluids. They are safe to take and are easily available and will also likely cost less than their commercial alternatives. The main downside of these herbs for weight loss is that the weight can return when the herbs are stopped.
Suggested herbs for weight loss
- Cayenne is becoming increasingly popular for use in cooking. It adds spice and flavour to food and helps to stimulate and increase the rates for digestion and metabolism. It is very safe to use and is sold as a powder.
- Seaweed is also becoming increasingly popular in Asian cooking. It has trace minerals such as iodine and stimulates the thyroid. It can be bought in its natural form or as a supplement in capsule or tablet form. I don’t think it is classed as a herb as such but it is great for boosting the metabolism!
- Green tea is a natural stimulant and has compounds that are antioxidants. It can be purchased in tea bag form or loose crushed leaves and steeped in water. It can also be purchased in capsule form, but is less effective.
Many of the commercial weight loss products will contain some or a mix of herbs for weight loss along with other synthetic ingredients. So it is always best to check the ingredients list before buying.
Herbs for weight loss have been tried and tested for many years. They have a long history of use for their medicinal properties. Anyone on prescribed medications should seek professional advice before taking any other weight loss products.
Had success using herbs for weight loss? If so please help others by leaving a comment below!
- 3 Must Try Herbs for Constipation
- 7 Herbs for Kidney Stones
- 5 Herbal Remedies For Acne
- 9 Herbs for Insomnia and How To Use Them
- Natural Herbs for Hair growth