Natural weight loss remedies are becoming more and more popular. Do you need to lose weight but have trouble sticking to a diet? Don’t want to put chemical solutions into your body? Then a natural alternative to weight loss pills may be for you.
How Do Natural Weight Loss Remedies work?
There are four main ways to lose weight:
- Eat less.
- Use more calories by exercising.
- Use more calories by taking something that increases metabolic rate.
- Digest less of what you eat, e.g. by taking something that blocks absorption of fat or carbohydrates.
Most natural weight loss products are like diet pills. The idea is that you can eat the same amount, exercise the same amount, and still lose weight because they work with method 3 or 4 above; or they act as an appetite suppressant so that you eat less without difficulty.
Unlike other diet pills, their claims may not be rigorously tested. This means that you may need to try them to find out if they work for you. Medical advice is recommended before using any natural weight loss remedies.
Hoodia Gordonii – Hoodia pills contain an extract from an African plant in the cactus family. It’s an appetite suppressant that African people used to take so that they could carry less food on hunting trips. It won’t help you to lose weight if you keep eating the same amount, but it can help you stick to a diet by making you less hungry. Use in conjunction with a healthy diet plan.
Green Tea – Green tea has been shown to help with weight loss in several studies. It appears to increase the metabolic rate without having a high level of caffeine. This means that you can eat the same amount and still lose weight. It’s still important to track what you eat – it won’t work if you replace the extra calories that you are burning by eating more!
Acai Berry – Pronounced ‘ah-sigh-ee’, this Brazilian palm tree berry has become very popular in the 21st century. It is claimed to have many properties including acting as an antioxidant and metabolism booster. Its antioxidant properties have been well researched, but its effect on weight loss is less clear.
Herbal Weight Loss Supplements
Herbs for weight loss may contain several different ingredients:
- Dandelion root is a diuretic which helps if you have water retention. The effects will be short term (once you have lost excess water, it won’t help you lose more weight).
- Boldo root is a mild laxative, helping food to pass through the system more quickly.
- Seaweed extracts contain iodine. If you are not getting enough iodine or have a sluggish thyroid, this may help you lose weight by regulating your metabolism.
Natural Weight Loss Pills
There are also natural weight loss remedies that claim to work as a fat binder. Fat binders can help you lose weight by surrounding fat cells in the stomach or intestine and carrying them through the system so that you excrete them undigested. This means that you do not absorb all of the calories that you eat.
Natural weight loss pills are usually made from fruit or vegetable fiber such as the fiber found in grapefruit or prickly pear. These are fruits that are claimed to help with weight loss. The pills may not be tested very thoroughly because they can be sold as a food supplement instead of a medication.
Some weight loss pills may also have the effect of speeding up the metabolism. These could contain coffee extracts, green tea extracts or other substances that have the same type of effect as caffeine. They could affect your sleep patterns and heart rate. Consult your doctor before taking these or other natural weight loss remedies.
- Are Herbs for Weight Loss Effective and Safe?
- 4 Herbs to Improve the Memory
- Herbs for Thyroid
- 7 Natural Herbs For Depression
- Natural Herbs for Hair growth