Greasy, oily hair is a problem many people experience and can make you look and feel dirty even when you have just showered and washed your hair. Greasy hair is more common in those who have very fine or straight hair than those with thick or curly hair.
Greasy hair results from the overproduction of sebum which occurs when the scalp is dry. Other common causes of greasy hair include hormonal changes, stress, a deficiency of riboflavin, and over brushing. Greasy hair can also be a hereditary condition.
Greasy Hair Home Remedies
Greasy hair can be an embarrassing situation, but fortunately there are several greasy hair home remedies.
- Forget conditioner. Conditioner will only make the hair appear oiler. If you feel you must use conditioner, look for one specifically designed for oily hair.
- Choose a shampoo that is formulated for greasy hair, or a clarifying shampoo, which removes build-up residue which tends to weigh the hair down. Because greasy hair is often caused by dry scalp, it’s best to avoid the cheaper shampoos, which are likely to dry out the scalp even further.
- Rinse thoroughly after shampooing. Residue from shampoo further contributes to greasy hair.
- Avoid over brushing hair which moves oil from the scalp through the hair.
- Rinse the hair with an equal mixture of warm water and lemon juice.
- Rinse hair with equal parts cool water and white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Sprinkle baby powder or talcum powder in the hair and comb through to absorb excess oil.
- Rinse hair with a cup of tea. Tannic acid in the tea helps to remove excess oil from hair.
- Sprinkle cornstarch in hair and brush through from scalp to ends.
- Consider using herbal shampoos that contain rosemary, sage, and/or eucalyptus, which reduce the production of sebum.
- Drink an adequate amount of water daily in order to alleviate a dry scalp, which is often the cause of greasy hair.
- Use a dry powder or spray shampoo when you don’t have time to wash your hair. Just apply and allow a few minutes for the shampoo to absorb the oil. Then, brush the hair.
- After shampooing, rinse hair with a solution of 1 part water and 3 parts Listerine.
- Avoid the using of hair gel and other such styling products which weigh the hair down and make it look greasier.
- Rinse the hair with a solution of one part vodka and one part water.
- Consider using a hair pick, rather than a hairbrush. A hair pick will lift the hair away from the scalp and give the hair more body; and unlike a hairbrush, a hair pick will not pull the oil from the scalp through the hair strands.
- Consume a diet full of omega 3 fatty acids, as well as vitamin A and vitamin E to improve the health of your hair.
- As an alternative to commercial shampoos, wash the hair with a mixture of 1 tablespoon baking soda dissolved in one cup of warm water. Massage the mixture into your hair, leave for a few minutes, then rinse.
Use these greasy hair remedies on a regular basis for a healthier, cleaner looking head of hair.
If you have a remedy for greasy hair please share below!
- Best Herbs for Hair Growth
- Natural Herbs for Hair growth
- Gum Abscess Home Remedies
- 5 Of The Best Herbal Remedies for Depression
- 5 Herbal Remedies For Acne